Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Memoir by Sarah Al-Edwan

It was April 15th, 1992 at 6:00 pm exactly. I entered this world and there was no turning back. I was surrounded by family, and friends, and my father. My father and his screaming best friend. My father and his screaming best friend who told my mom it was her fault. Her fault that I was a girl. My mother swooned me into her arms, and held me dearly. She was my savor that day, just like she is now. She tuned everyone out, and just focused on me. Sarah Najat Al-Edwan. Her beautiful baby girl. Well, beautiful if you subtract the big cone head I possessed. But don’t worry, I grew out of that. Even with my father’s best friend screaming in the background, I’d say from the stories that I’ve heard, my birth was a delightful one. Now that I’m older, my grandmother has given me a series of journals she wrote documenting moments in my life, that I one day may not be able to remember. And thus, I give you- my life through my grandmother’s eyes.







Book One





I was brought home to a large family, that of my two aunts Silvia, and Lori-ann, my grandmother, who I call Nana, and my grandfather who I call Bampie, there is also my mother and my father, my great grandmother, Nana Mitchell, and of course the nine hundred cousins that multiplied daily on all sides of my family. Nana spent a lot of time describing the family I live in, who was loud, who worked were, who spent their time doing what. She wanted me to know, I guess how our family was when I first entered this world. And I’m thankful she did because as of now, everything is different. About 15 pages into the pink, worn out old journal she kept all her thoughts for me in something terrible happened. Something my nana described as a heartbreaking moment. My father was packing us up and moving to Jordan. Yes, Jordan in the Middle East. A 16 hour plane ride from our close nit family. Our family who would never move away from each other because we were so intertwined. The whole Milone Clan was devastated, not about losing my father, but about losing the ones they loved most. Me and my mother. I had just entered their world and I was already leaving them. Due to my father’s heritage, and religion, and his stubborn attitude witch would prove later on to be a huge burden in my life, my nana wondered if I was every going to come back. “Just a summer” he told her, but for all she knew she would never be able to look into my chocolate brown eyes again. I guess in a lot of ways my family resents my father, not for just taking me away like he did, because –yes obviously I eventually came back. But for the heart break he caused me. The problem is though, that half this heart break is things I’ve read about heard stories of, and I loath him at the thoughts of what he’s done. But it just occurred to me, I never really did his side of the story did I? The rest of the time I spent home before leaving my nana swooned over me, talking about how funny I was, and how I grew by the minute. She would rock me in her arms, in her great grandmother’s rocking chair, and sing me to sleep. The part of the journal where I was a wretched million miles away, I will not share with you. I will just tell you that my grandmother’s heart break brought me to tears. Devastated me.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I think your use of details is very important to your success here. The introductory paragraph is interesting, especially with the bit about your father's screaming best friend. i was kind of wondering the story behind that...was he just screaming because you weren't a boy? is there a reason he needed his friend's baby to be a boy? i was looking for that answer in Book 1 but i never really got it, unless it was a religious or cultural tie to your father that i missed.

I liked Book 1, but i was surprised when reading it at first because i though we were looking at your life through your "grandmother's eyes," but then they were your eyes, interpreting your grandmother's thoughts. I don't know if these are real journals and you're just uncomfortable recording your grandma's thoughts, but i think fragments from the journals could really help bring tension to your piece, with comments from you (like the part about you not wanting to share a certain part because it was too devastating, i felt that was important) in between the recordings. overall it's a very good "chunk".

alyssagrozier said...

I thought it was very clever how you began sentences based on the previous one. Ex. "...and my father. My father and his screaming best friend. My father and his screaming best friend who told my mom it was her fault. Her fault that I was a girl.."


I think the fact that the memoir is written through your "grandmother's eyes" and based off of her journals, makes the story unique and interesting.

lawlzatbethany said...

I thought the storyline was good and how it focuses on your dad a bit but then goes back to your grandmother. The screaming best friend kindof confused me a bit, who was saying your mom was at fault? I agree with sarah that if you added actuall bits from your grandmother's journals it might add tension, or raw feeling to the story. Something to think about. I can't wait to read more

Michael said...

I really liked how you began your story.You set it up very well and made the reader want to find out more about you and your family. I also liked how you made fun of yourself by saying you had a cone head. It broke the tense mood of having someone yelling at a baby. I also think it is a really cool idea to be telling your story through the eyes of your grandmother. It gives a different perspective of your life and seems to be very interesting.

Sara said...

You narration works into this piece is absolutely perfect. It makes you feel a part of the story. It makes is more real and it adds to it the emotions we might have lost if you just told the story as it was happening instead of looking back on it. I agree with Sarah about bringing fragments from the journal into the story I think it will add a lot to the piece and make your statement in the beginning about your life through your grandmothers eyes true.

Anonymous said...

i will definitely will add bits from the actual jorunals, the problem is i couldn't find them, but on the later part of the peice im working on i've started to add stuff, thanks.

also- my father's bestfriend was screaming because i was a girl. my father and his friend are both muslim and in that culture men are seen as the dominant sex. my fathers culture and the problems it causes in the family becomes alot more dominant in the rest of the piece.

MWilliamson said...

I am ridiculously excited for the edited and final piece. This is probably one of the most interesting chunks I've read since we've started this project. I think the fact that it is the true story of your life makes it so gripping. I can't wait to see how it finishes up, and I essentially agree with the comments of our classmates. =)

-Mike

Rose said...

I think the tension of when you address the writing itself is one way you keep the peice interesting - for instance, when you mention that you don't think you've really explained the father's side of the story, that shows the audience that there's certainly more to it than what is currently being revealed. The sensitive and creative details - the cone head for example - also add in a real positive way to the story. Right now the story's left me with a lot of questions, but as that's the way the story wants to operate, I think it successfully gets the audience invested in the story right from the beginning.

Jaret said...

I like how this story has very exact details. You said exact times, the exact names of people and etc. It's very to-the-point in all right places and has some just-the-facts moments. Very good and an interesting idea. I look forward to see where it goes from here. Also, I like the subtitle "Book One", that just sounds neat. Good job.

Kat said...

Sarah-

I love that you are using your grandmother's journals for this! When you told me about your idea, I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but it looks like you've got the idea. Keep running with it (so to speak).

I would love to see some excerpts from the journal included. I think it would at add a lot to the story!

Kaylie McTiernan said...

While reading your piece I guessed that the reason your father's best friend was screaming was because you are a girl, but I would make that more clear from the beginning. I think it would make your introduction more powerful. I like that you try to give several perspectives on your memior. You focus on your grandmother's, but you also give your own and try to include your fathers. Also, I would be interested in reading about your time in Jordan. Of course, I dont know if thats possible considering your age at the time, but it would be interesting to try it out. I really like your piece so far!

Lucy Morgan said...

What I like most about what you've written is its dynamic. You have turned the speaker into a very tangible person...I feel like I'm having a conversation with you. Be careful with this though. If it becomes too conversational it might lose focus.

I love the idea of telling your story through a separate person's eyes, especially someone older. I can see how it might be really challenging. I think Sarah's suggestion about including actual excerpts from your grandmother's journals would make it easier for you. If you can't find the actual journals it might be interesting for you to write them yourself. You could include fictional journal entries from your grandmother based on the real ones you've read. If you did that you would have to decide whether or not to admit to the reader that you wrote them, but whether you address it or not, I think it'd be an interesting thing to try.

Barbara said...

Though I liked the story, I feel ike it could be improved upon by adding in excerpts from the grandmothers journal.

I feel that it would add texture and depth.