Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Japanese Poetry by Kaylie McTiernan

Kaylie McTiernan

Japanese Poetry

Haiku

Rain drops fall silent

Landing soft on window glass

Stinging the hard earth

Wind roars through the sky

Leaves aflame scream in fury

Scorching the dry earth

Delicately falling

Surrounded by gentle flakes

Alone with the white

Renga

A quiet house waits

Calm silence lingers throughout

Blooming blossom scent

Garden flowers watch in awe

Dancing red birds sleep outside

The moon’s unknown love

Brilliantly lighting the sky

Quiet and alone

Twirling, laughing, dancing end

Broken farewells then silence.

Tanka

Beaming energy

Expectations of the night

Torn by sudden shock

Now frozen by lightning bolts

Avoided eyeball panic.

Directions

Haiku: 5-7-5

Renga: 5-7-5 7-7 5-7-5 7-7

A Renga is a poem that can be done at a dinner party including many people. There is a progression to the Renga, the beginning must be polite and cautious, the middle must be loose, and the end must be a rapid finish. Also, there must be two lines mentioning flowers and three lines mentioning the moon.

Tanka: 5-7-5 7-7

Create an image relating to emotions.

8 comments:

alees said...

In your first haiku, I thought it was interesting that you made rain fall "gently" on the window pane but "sting" the earth. I don't know if the contrast is purposeful or not but I just thought it was something to think about. I liked how you used the word "earth" in the last line of the first two haikus. I also love the phrase "avoided eyeball panic".

Unknown said...

kaylie i think your poetry is beautiful. i am wishing they had titles though. i liked your renga the best, and i thought your sound repetition was very strong, and your imagery was gripping as well. i also liked your tanka. that last line "avoiding eyeball panic" is very suggestive and literal and frightening. you should probably write a poem about evil samurai warriors though...

Alex R said...

- I like the bare observations with no explanation. They leave the reader to figure out the meaning on their own. This is something I am striving for in my own project and I think you’ve done it well.

- I like the repetition in the Haiku: Stinging the hard earth/Scorching the dry earth; Rain drops fall silent/Delicately falling.

- Silence seems to be a major factor in the effect of the first two poems. I think you could elaborate on it a bit throughout the rest of your project. It seems important so I would like to be able to construct some kind of broader meaning out of “silence.”

lawlzatbethany said...

your poems are very musical and pleasant to read. All the descriptions are short, but just enough to actually visuolize it all in your head.

Michael said...

I think that you did a great job with all of these poems. I especially liked the Renga that you wrote. The lines “The moon’s unknown love brilliantly lighting they sky” is very good. Also, the line “leaves aflame scream in fury/ scorching the dry earth” in your haiku is very good. I really like that you put that line right about the haiku about snowflakes, contrasting the two.

Barbara said...

Your poetry is beautiful. I really enjoyed reading it, it was pleasant.

I also like the repitition that you used.

I can't wait to read more.

Kat said...

Kaylie- Great job!

I don't really understand how to do these forms of poetry, but you have written them well and they flow beautifully. Keep up the good work.

(I appreciate that you added a little description as to the differences between the types of poems, not that it helped me much...)

Kathryn

Jaret said...

I am glad to see someone writing haiku and taking it seriously. These are very good poems. They flow well. I would like to read more. A good haiku is underappreciated, i am glad to see you do well in haiku. keep it up.